Below is a brief overview of what to expect in an osteopathic appointment.
Each person and condition is treated individually so techniques used may not be the same as the next person or even in your next session. Some treatment modalities are:
- Soft tissue manipulation (massage techniques)
- Joint mobilization (gentle rhythmical movements to improve joint range)
- Joint manipulation (small adjustments made to joints to release restriction and reduce pain)
- Muscle energy technique (a type of stretching that uses muscle contractions to improve joint range)
- Dry needling (thin acupuncture needles used to treat trigger points in muscles)
- Exercise prescription and self management advice
When you arrive we require you to fill in a medical history form. Once completed we go to the treatment room to sit down and discuss what brings you to the clinic. I will go through your patient questionnaire and ask any relevant questions to help guide the examination.
After this I will give you a modesty gown (for females) and leave the room while you change. Please wear appropriate underwear on the day.
Next we proceed with the physical examination. I perform orthopaedic, osteopathic and physical tests to help determine what is causing your problem.
Once I establish a working diagnosis, I explain what the treatment will consist of and get started treating your problem.
Treatment usually consists of soft tissue manipulation (massage), stretching, muscle energy technique, joint articulation and manipulation. Treatment may include dry needling or other modalities as required. I explain to you what to expect from each treatment modality before it is performed.